Hi guys, I hope everyone is staying healthy and taking advantage of the lockdown to practice some self-love and take good care of your hair.
Talking about hair each year there is a new trending topic that relates to natural hair. Whether it’s trying a new hair tool, a new technique or product. There is always something new! Over the past few years, the term trichology has come up quite a few times. You can see this on social media or even in seminars at beauty events.
For those not familiar with the term, Trichology is “the study and treatment of the hair and scalp” (according to the Cambridge Dictionary).
“Isn’t it what’s a dermatologist for?”
Good question. The main difference between the 2 is that a dermatologist specialises in skin-related issues, including hair and scalp. However, a trichologist only deals with hair and scalp.
“Should I consult a trichologist?”
Although some hair issues might require a small change in regimen, other conditions will not be treated by only changing conditioner, for example, so extra help might be required. If you suffer from scalp or hair conditions, (i.e. hair loss, dandruff, bald patches, traumatic alopecia…) it might be a good idea to consult, especially if this has been going on for a while or if it’s getting worse. There might be underlying issues that a specialist might help you found out and solve.
“How do I select a trichologist?”
Use a certified one (by the International Association of Trichologists) or a qualified trichologist from the Institute of Trichologists. Some are specialised in afro hair. Here a list below for the UK based ones:
- Stephanie Sey Trichology – www.stephaniesey.com
- The Hair and Scalp Clinic – www.thehairandscalpclinic.co.uk
- Ebuni Ajiduah Hair – www.ebuniajiduah.com
- Smart Hair Clinic – www.smarthairclinic.co.uk
- The Fulham Scalp and Hair Clinic – www.fulhamscalphairclinic.com
- Almocado Hair Clinic – www.almocadohairclinic.com
- Crewe Hair and Skin Clinic – www.crewehairandskinclinic.uk
- Caring For Hair – www.caringforhair.org
- Afope Atoyebi – www.afopeatoyebi.com
- Trichosynergy.com – www.trichosynergy.com
Have you used a trichologist? How did you find the experience?
Photo(s) Source(s): @wallace_chuck_