Hi naturals, transitioners and future naturals,
Do you ever feel down when it comes to your tresses or choosing hairstyles…? Do you ask yourself “Do I look good with curly hair“? Or are your unsure about how to start your journey?
Check out these few tips to enhance your confidence:
- Start with the basics: Know your hair T.E.X.T.U.R.E! Is it fine, medium or thick? Is it porous? Is it dense? “Type 3 hair” or curly hair can be fine, medium or thick. In general, this type of hair is porous, which means that it absorbs and retains moisture easily. Density refers to the amount of hair that you have on your head. If you want to know more about your hair and find what works best for you, ask your hairdresser for a hair consultation. If you don’t have one, check out the Salon’s page.
- Wear styles that suits you and you feel comfortable with. After understanding your hair, I think it is one of the most important parts to feel self-assured about. The style you have seen on someone else will not automatically work for your hair texture or face shape. In this case find something in between, you can ask for advice from a good hairdresser OR check out vloggers with a similar hair type as yours, like MahoganyCurls who gives great tips by the way.
- Work on your look & style: Experiment, just have fun! Try updos, braids, afros, accessories your tresses…In this way, you will find out what you like. You will also avoid getting bored. If you know you want or like natural hair but you can’t find time or feel lazy (laziness is a disease you know lol), to style it every day, try twists or braids for example. These styles will require less maintenance than styles like bantu knot outs, updos…
- See where you want to be and what matters: Set goals that are achievable in a reasonable period of time. Take small steps at a time, growing hair takes time. Plan how you are going to achieve them, i.e. the regimen you will follow, products you will use, how many time per year you will trim your hair…
- Stay focused: after planning, this step should come straight after. Remember perseverance is key! You will need patience, especially for the bad hair days.
- Learn: keep learning, reading, join forums, keep asking vloggers questions to, bloggers, hairdressers… You can never learn too much, it will increase your confidence.
- Think about positive things when you look at your mane: find 3 things you find beautiful about your curls and you will feel better about it.
Do you have any tips for sisters wishing to find the confidence to go natural? How did you feel about going natural when you first started your journey? Share your experience and tips with us.